This is crossposted from Facebook. It was a meme that I put enough time into thinking about that I felt it was worth posting. I’m not tagging anyone here, if you want to do it you can do it on your own. 🙂
The rules: Don’t take too long to think about it. Fifteen video games you’ve played that will always stick with you. List the first fifteen you can recall in no more than fifteen minutes.
- Loom – This is still one of the first games that held my interest strongly enough to run through and finish. The unique storyline and interface made for a wonderful little game.
- Kings Quest – Sierra On-line – the original source of PC adventure games, these are the games that kept the PC Gamers happy. Sierra On-Line released a huge number of games, like Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry (Naughty black bars, Naughty!), Police Quest, Hero’s Quest (YAY) and so on; but the true origin of my PC gaming came from King’s Quest.
- Ultima V – My introduction to the Ultima series of games was with V, and it remains to this day one of the key PC Games in my memory. Back when game lengths were counted in hundreds of hours instead of tens of hours – Ultima introduced the concept of a game where your character’s actions had a real impact on the world and NPC’s interactions with you, and the concept of ethical behavior… Imagine that, if you were to just TAKE something from a city resident’s apartment, you might get chased down for it!
- Wing Commander – Space Epic combined with a damned addictive and fun space combat simulator. With graphics that were amazing for the time, some damned good music, effort towards a storyline and characters you actually gave a damn about — Wing Commander stands as a template that future games such as the X-Wing games would slot themselves into.
- X-Com – Woah tactics. Console gamers may have had Tactics Ogre, but PC gamers had X-Com. Aliens! Grid tactics! Turns! Characters that developed, that could DIE in an instant of just simple bad luck! Mind rays, lasers, and worldwide development of bases! This game sucked away so many of my college hours that I probably bombed out a class or two due to alien influences..Lets switch gears shall we?
- Final Fantasy 7 – I know, I can hear the groans everywhere. However, this was my introduction to the FF world, and still remains my favorite version of the game. Fun 3D graphics, characters that entertained and intrigued and broke your heart, and addictive customization of things with Materia. Not only did this introduce me to the squaresoft games, it actually introduced me to console style RPGs. And of course, there’s Tifa’s chest. 😛
- Final Fantasy Tactics – FFT really is the gem here. With beautiful music and a wonderfully challenging game, along with an insanely convoluted storyline – FFT is in another caliber of games in my memory. It is one of the few games that I have gladly played multiple iterations of. Tactics Ogre, and FFTA, and other similar games barely scratch the itch that FFT created in my head.
- Chrono Trigger – Say what you will, Chrono Trigger is another one of those classics, and I think is the other game that I played multiple iterations of. From the moment the game starts with the simple ticking of the clock, you know you’re in for a treat.Switching gears again back to the PC…
- A Bard’s Tale – No, I’m not talking about that piece of junk that came out recently. I’m talking about the original computer game. This was D&D on the computer, no doubt. I didn’t want to play at night, because man, this game’s random encounters kept beating me up…
- Might and Magic – Another dungeon crawl game. One of the first games to make me tense up the minute I looked into the dead end of a dungeon and saw the message, “Don’t turn around”
- Portal – Okay, talking a bit about the current batch of games… Portal! I keep thinking with them! I keep looking at day to day things and imagining how much easier it would be if I simply popped a hole in the wall and popped an exit somewhere else! Commuting would be so much easier! Dealing with troublesome coworkers – DONE! Dinner would be instant delivery! So many things would be easier! Of course, as part of the Orange Box, the other games are good too, but Portal… That game is something special.
- Bioshock – This game reminded me that you CAN have games that are engaging and frankly creepy and frightening. Playing this game with the lights out when you have no real idea what to expect is thrilling. Especially when you live alone. Anna pulled off a coup when she introduced me to this.
- Fallout 1 – I still remember the anticipation behind this game. The world that you are stuck in, along with the dark sense of humor, the intricate storyline, and the massive number of impacts that your action had on how the game would “end” led to many a sleepless night as I kept playing that “one minute more.” And Dogmeat – your faithful companion through it all! Sure, there’s Fallout 2, Fallout Brotherhood of Steel, and the current day Fallout 3, which brought it to a new level… But Fallout 1 was the originator…. or was it?
- Wasteland – Okay kids, you know that whole Fallout thing that you play at? Before Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3, 2, 1, etc, there was Wasteland. Many of the little things you love from Fallout, like the red ryder special BB gun, the alien encounter and alien gun, the random encounters, the exploration, even being able to blow someone into a “pale pink mist” — this all came from Wasteland. Fallout is the spiritual successor to Wasteland. (Although, in thinking about this, apparently a few years ago someone said they would be working on a Wasteland 2…. ooooh.)
That’s really about it. I don’t have a 15th. I got too caught up thinking about the first fourteen. I mean sure, if I scrub in my head I can think of many other games that sucked away some of my life. There’s Tetris, Mercs, Space Rangers 2, Civ V, Dragon Quest III and IX, Professor Layton, etc etc… But those fade with time. These, they’re seriously ingrained in my head — and all future games really get held up in comparison; to determine if they’re worth the cramping fingers and the burning eyes that come with true game obsession. 🙂